HAZMAT Calls Course
The purpose of this interactive workshop is to provide the 9‐1‐1 Officer with the knowledge and skills necessary to properly handle hazardous materials (HAZMAT) incident calls.
Student Performance Objectives
By the end of the course, the communications officer should be able to:
- Understand HAZMAT call classifications and the considerations of each type
- Understand methods of transportation of HAZMAT materials
- Understand how to obtain information from marking systems
- Demonstrate the ability to receive and process an HAZMAT call
- Be able to develop a HAZMAT call protocol
NOTE: Although not required, it is recommended the instructor coordinate a visit to the local HAZMAT team station to allow the
communications officers to become familiar with the HAZMAT team members and the actual equipment they use prior to this course. It is also recommended that the instructor coordinate with a qualified HAZMAT instructor to provide a 2‐4 hour course in the proper use of the Emergency Response Guide prior to this course.